During an inspection the vehicle is subject to a set of test to assess the active and passive safety systems, to ensure that it is roadworthy.
The vehicle is subject to the following procedures:
- Identification of the Vehicle - This consists of confirming that the make, model, registration, chassis number and size of the tyres tally with the vehicle registration certificate;
- Emission of Pollutants - The testing of the emission of pollutants is performed by two devices: the exhaust gas analyser for petrol vehicles, or the opacimeter for diesel vehicles;
- Chassis and Cab - An examination of the exterior and interior of the vehicle is carried out in order to detect corrosion points, deformations, anomalies of the seats and other deficiencies that may compromise the safety of the vehicle and its occupants;
- Lights - The alignment of the dipped beam and full beam headlamps and fog lights is checked as well as their intensity, through a regloscope. The condition and operation of all the lamps and connections for trailers where they exist are also checked;
- Visibility - The condition of the rear-view mirrors, windscreen cleaning system and any reductions to the driver's field of vision;
- Other Equipment - The existence and functioning of the following are checked: safety belts, warning triangle, audible warning device, speedometer and other mandatory equipment in certain vehicles - tachograph, fire extinguisher, curtains, wheel chocks and others;
- Brakes - A Roller Brake Tester is used to test the brakes. It measures the force and balance of the parking brake and emergency brake;
- Steering - The wheel alignment is determined by the slide slip tester, which checks wheel balance;
- Wheel Play Detector - The wheel play detector makes it possible to detect excessive play or anomalies in the suspension, steering, axles and their connections to the chassis. The condition of the rims and tyres are also checked;
Other Checks - Public service vehicles are also subject to other checks, to ensure that they comply with existing specific safety measures.